Sunday, June 29, 2008

Kid you good a lookin' but you don't a-know what's cookin' till you mambo italiano :)




So there I was in this little sleeper car, smiling awkwardly at two male backpackers from France with an indescribable combined body odor. They were tired, and so were their feet and so they removed their shoes, and rested their big, dirty sock feet on the seat next tome. The dirty sock feet were moved back down to the floor when a French couple, deeply in love, joined our little club. So there we were, 5 of us: The French lovers, loved each other, while the French backpackers smelled each other and grunted. I sat there wondering when it would be bedtime, anxious to fall asleep in Switzerland because I knew that I would wake up in Italy.


A sleeper car is a good thing because if you want to sleep on a train, you don't have to contort yourself like a circus freak. You don't have to press your face against the window, creating a firm but foggy pillow. In a sleeper car, if you are sleepy, you can stretch your body out all straight and horizontal like, and if you are cold, you can even exercise the right of blanket usage. But it does of course come with a bit of risk, but one that is worth it, because you can actually walk post train travel.


6:45a came quickly, and I was happy when the Italian train conductor woke me up because he was handsome and offering espresso. I didn't have time to drink it, because I was so excited to be in Florence! And practically leaping off the train as it came to a final halt.





From the moment my feet hit the ground until the time I left for Geneva, I did not stop. HOW COULD I? I walked in the dewy light of the Tuscan sun, down the streets, still groggy and half asleep. I walked around the Duomo- so majestic and intricate and looking more beautiful than when I had seen it last.



I walked into the afternoon, when the sun hit the cobblestones and sent heat through the souls of my shoes.




I made my way through the city slowly, pausing to look at this or that, weaving in and out of the markets. Walking into random churches and museums. Eating gelato with out any guilt or hesitation, because I am finally realizing that life really is too short. And then eating more gelato, until I averaged three a day :) I was so happy! I can't even tell you! The people walking past me probably thought I was a woman in love, which in truth- I was. I was twitterpated. It was so great for me to have the city all to myself, to realize a dream for the second time.






I don't mind traveling alone, and have even taking a slight liking to the "solo mio" of my current existence, but after a while, you just want someone to talk to. Teresa has been my partner in crime since January, and we have had amazing times together. We were actually in Florence just after the new year. A time that will be forever remembered, especially because the 86 yr old owner of the hostel we were staying in tried to kiss me... yeah- on the lips. That was a fun time. But that is not the point- the point is that this time I was indeed alone, alone. No beautiful, tall, funny Teresa to laugh at my expense and share wine and cheese with. And although I was ok with that, I was also ok with not being alone. Meaning, if there were to be nice people in my general area, I might not deny them a bit of witty conversation and cheer.


As always, God was good, and brought me to exactly where I needed to be. I found myself sharing a room with 3 wonderful girls from Seattle named Rachel, Emily and Haley. I said "Hi", they said "Hi". "My name is Marie" I said. They said their names and after that- we were friends. I love it when things just "click" like that. When you meet people and even though you hardly know each other, there is something about them that feels right with you. As if you've known them for much longer then the mere half an our you can mutually call your own. I was very glad to meet my new friends. We had great conversations about so many things and shared stories galore, and laughed and laughed. I honestly felt so blessed to have met them, because even though, like I said, I would have been ok alone, having people to share an experience with makes it twice as good.



We all went out that night, balancing on the cobblestone in an effort to avoid heel hazards. We were in search of a place to dance, and surprisingly found nothing. Seriously! Where do the Florentine's kick it? I don't know. We did however come upon a Piazza where a quartet of violin, drum, bass and something Oriental were playing Russian music. This did of course inspire a spontaneous jig to be set free, but it was brief because although the 4 of us really felt it, and the musicians appreciated it, the rest of the people encircling, seemed less than amused. We searched to find a place to dance to some reggae or world music. Instead we ended up at club that was suggested to us by a local, it was called Dance Electronica and we were all a bit suspicious of it, but thought we would give it a try any way. It was after 8 girls all wearing bikinis stepped onto this little stage to participate in "The first Bikini Competition of the year!" that we decided to leave. It's true, our first night in Florence was a bit of a flop.



I slept so hard on Friday night, and woke up so excited to be able to have another full day in Florence. We walked everywhere! We went to the Opera Di Santa Maria Del Fiore where I saw Donatello's Mary Magdelaine. And then to the Complesso Monumentale di Santa Croce where I actually saw the burial places of Michelangelo, Dante Alighieri and Galileo! For me, that was one of the most amazing experiences. There I was, standing in this church, minding my own business, and oh look! There's Michelangelo!









After the museums, we walked to the Piazza Di Michelangelo which gives you a beautiful view of Florence.



Saturday evening was long and lovely. Haley and I wandered around the city, people watching and of course- eating gelato! Seriously! I couldn't get enough of it! We met some new friends, and ended up staying up until the sunrise, talking and laughing in a beautiful Piazza.



I am so happy that I had the opportunity to visit Italy once more before leaving for the States. My time there was completely blessed! As I was walking around the city, I thanked God for His blessings. For the way He takes care of me. My Mom has always said that "God knows the desires of your heart". And I know that is true. The dream that I have had since I was a little girl, came true this year- twice in fact! And I could not be happier.

When you walk in dream, but you know your not dreaming... that amore!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kid - you are good looking and now you a-know what's cookin!

I can't wait to see you. Chisago City will remind you so much of Florence - I am sure of it. Well..ok we can get a lot of Italian wine and pretend.

Love you like a daughter

Marmy

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see you. Your blog entry brought tears to my eyes. I love you so much Marie.

Anonymous said...

Fragola!