Monday, July 7, 2008

Goodnight Switzerland

It is my last night in Switzerland. I still have to pack. It is about to rain, just like yesterday, the sky is swelling with a black wet. It is calm and quiet here. The family is asleep. Maddy is all tucked in, here little cheeks red from crying (we don't want to say goodbye). We read the Princess Knight before I kissed her goodnight. A book about a young girl who takes her future into her own hands. Who, even though she is afraid, does what she feels she needs to do.



This morning Audrey crawled into my bed, she curled herself up into a little ball and nestled against me. A few hours later, the girls and I were in my room and Audrey said, "Yep- tomorrow there's gonna be no more Marie." Maddy just gasped and exclaimed "YES THERE WILL BE A MARIE! JUST MARIE IN AMERICA!" It has been a very bitter sweet day.



Greg, Jill, Maddy and Audrey took me out to this Italian place for dinner. It was nice, Audrey was obnoxious and still adorable at the same time (I don't know how she pulls it off). She was wearing the napkin around her neck like a bow tie, then said to me, "Hey Marie- I have something for you." As she said this, she leaned over and said "tink, tink" as she made her eyelids blink in this really exaggerated way, making the sound match with her eyes. Meanwhile, Maddy sat there solemnly holding my hand and staring at me. Oh... I am sad to leave these girls, I really am.



It is amazing how God has brought me to where I am. Just before I left the States, I stopped over at St. Thomas to say "goodbye" to Luke. He hugged me, said "goodbye" and just as he was running off to class yelled, "Don't be afraid to change". What I didn't realize was how much I would have to cling to the bravery that comes with facing change. And lots it! I look back and can't believe that I have basically been Europe's ping-pong over the last 9 months. (eh...wasn't exactly prepared for that). Still, there as been no lacking whatsoever in God's grace. The rich outpouring of His understanding and patience and reassurance. In all of this I have felt His peace.

I can't wait to get home, just to see all of your faces. To hear your stories from this last year, to catch up on all that we have missed in each other's lives.

This has been such a beautiful, challenging, interesting and purposeful chapter in my life. I have no choice but to turn the page now, to move on to thousands of words that are yet to be read. How truly great is our God! I will never forget this family! This experience! Jill and Greg have been amazing and I have grown to appreciate their wisdom and friendship, just as much as I have grown to love Maddy and Audrey.








Goodnight Moon


In the great green room
There was a telephone
And a red balloon
And a picture of -

The cow jumping over the moon
And there were three little bears sitting on chairs

And two little kittens
And a pair of mittens
And a little toyhouse
And a young mouse

And a comb and a brush and a bowl full of mush
And a quiet old lady whispering hush

Goodnight room
Goodnight moon
Goodnight cow jumping over the moon
Goodnight light and the red balloon
Goodnight bears
Goodnight chairs

Goodnight kittens
And goodnight mittens
Goodnight clocks and goodnight socks
Goodnight little house and goodnight mouse
Goodnight comb and goodnight brush
Goodnight nobody, goodnight mush
And goodnight to the old lady whispering "hush"

Goonight stars
Goodnight air
Goodnight noises everywhere .....

Margaret Wise Brown 1947

No comments: